I’m blogging by the pool today (in the shade because it’s hot as hell in Kuwait) and thinking about what I feel every American girl should do before they get married. When I was working on Camp Arifjan I met a lot of young military men and women who were already married with children. There first time out of the United States was their deployment to Kuwait. Their R&R trip would be home to see their family instead of the world. Most of them seem happy with their choice but I can’t imagine settling down so young before I traveled the world. Here is the list I just came up with…
1. Complete your education. At least a Bachelor’s degree at a real university. Online degrees are BS in my opinion. You would miss the whole university experience while you’re young and free.
2. Backpacking through Europe. America is such a young country and very isolated. Most Americans can't even locate The Netherlands on a world map. So get out and see the world before you get hitched. You might even meet your future husband overseas.
3. Study abroad. If you can’t afford to study abroad for at least a summer then there are several work abroad programs and scholarships.
4. Date Mr. Wrong. You don't want to marry the bad boy but dating him to sow your wild oats before you settle down is too much fun!
5. Live in NYC. Why? Because I did twice and it's awesome. Well at least the second experience was for me. I was too young the first time. What a wonderful city to start your journey into self discovery.
6. Discover your talent or a favorite hobby. Something that you love and can't live without. Whether it's running, sailing, painting, photography...you get the drift, something just for you.
7. Babysitting for the weekend. Discover what it's really like to have children. One weekend babysitting three kids back home made me realize I was far from ready! Poopy diapers....YUCK!
8. Live alone. What better way to discover yourself then to live alone and be financially independent.
9. Work abroad. There are a ton of jobs around the world, including Kuwait.
10. Volunteer ~ You can feed the hungry for the day, help clean up the Gulf Coast beaches from the oil spill, work at a shelter, or join the Big Brothers and Sister's Club of America. There is no limit to people in need.
11. Attend several live music concerts with the girls. Try to get back stage. I did....! And I didn't have to flash anyone either! looool.
12. Sing Karaoke in front of a room full of strangers. Okay, I was smashed but I still did it with my horrible singing voice that could shatter glass.
13. Taking a cooking class even if you hate to cook. I'm not saying this to please your future husband. Think of the cooking goddess Nigella Lawson and get your cooking on.
14. Sunbathe naked in the Mediterranean at a public beach. I went with several of my European girlfriends on holiday from university. At first I refused to take off my bikini because I was very shy. When they made fun of me for being so typically American I just ripped it off and after a few minutes of panic I felt exhilarated and free. That night I had some private parts that were more than pink from the sun. :'( Please don't forget your SPF 30!
15. Discover who you are spiritually. Know who you are before you become a Mrs. Someone. Define yourself and stick to your goals and dreams. Your future husband should be your soul mate and partner. Not your master!
















